Please contact the SSMS Secretary at email@example.com if you wish to advertise a position on the website.
All positions will be advertised for 6 months unless otherwise specified.
Research Fellow / Research Associate / Research Assistant
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore
The Protein and Proteomics Centre at the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, invites talented individuals for the positions of Research Fellow / Research Associate / Research Assistant. Successful candidates will join a dynamic and friendly team focused on protein research and delivering cutting-edge mass spectrometry solutions to the scientific community.
PhD/MSc/BSc degrees in related life science or biomedical disciplines
At least 1 year of research lab working experience required for Research Associate position
Fresh PhD/BSc holders are welcome to apply
Knowledge of protein biochemistry and molecular biology is prerequisite
Experience with liquid chromatography and/or mass spectrometry will be advantageous
Good organisation skills and able to adhere to deadlines
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Ability to work harmoniously in a team
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please send your application via email (indicating the position of interest, latest CV and contact information of at least 2-3 referees)to Assoc. Prof Lin Qingsong (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr Lin Qifeng (email@example.com).
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Breathonix’s vision is to develop non-invasive breath test for early detection of various diseases. Our technology allows us to perform a breath test in 1 minute, the fastest in this field. Our COVID-19 rapid breath test BreFence Go has recently received HSA approval. The team is currently working towards deploying our rapid breath test for mass COVID-19 screening both locally and in overseas countries. Multiple projects are underway to develop non-invasive screening test for other disease, including lung cancer and TB.
• Plan and undertake experiments intrinsic to Breathonix application/product development projects with a focus on PTR-MS deployment and development.
• Lead testing and validation of new models, products and materials from new suppliers etc.
• Lead in-house R&D activities
• Design experiment, write report and present results to both internal and external stakeholders
• Ensure experimental work adheres to department processes.
• Define and implement instrument preventative maintenance activities and schedule.
• Maintain accurate and up-to date lab/instrument records
• Training of team members and end users on the usage of our device.
We are looking for someone with VOC analysis experience (GC/MS, PTR-MS, SIFT-MS, IMS etc) to help develop and validate our proprietary techniques and methodologies for breath analysis. The successful candidate is likely to have a higher degree in a relevant analytical science discipline.
The following competencies form the core strength of our R&D department, you will be expected to demonstrate a practical application of them, as well as to supervise others applying them.
Research - The ability to conduct, objective, logical, and systematic method of analysis of phenomena devised to permit the accumulation of reliable knowledge.
Protocols - The ability of organizing rigorous experimental protocols, scripting relevant protocol and reports, raising and resolving nonconformities and tracking through to a root cause analysis of any outside tolerance deviations.
Communication of results -ability to clearly communicate experiment results to different target audience in a suitable format.
Critical evaluation of data - Has the ability to evaluate and ensure the accuracy of data as well as spot real and non-real trends to provide an answer with confidence limits
Analytical Concept - The understanding of the rationale, theory, and subject matter in a particular scientific discipline to allow the appropriate application within an analytical role. (e.g Applying knowledge of basic chemical concepts and theories to set research questions with appropriate confidence limits, choose correct analysis technique and proficient instrument operation).
Analysis - Has the ability to perform routine and non-routine analysis and understands when the applied technique is fit for purpose and what associated quality control activities are required to ensure that the technique remains within established ranges and limits. When technique deviates from those established ranges and limits will be able to effectively troubleshoot.
• Master or phd degree in analytical chemistry or related field- industry working experience
• Experience in working with PTR-MS, SIFT-MS, GC/MS, LC/MS, IMS or related instruments
• Deep understanding and knowledge in mass spectrometry
• Experience in mass spectrometry maintenance, calibration
• Metabolomics or other omics experience
• Experience in volatile organic compounds analysis
• Experience in gas sampling methodologies
• Complex problem-solving ability
• Ability to follow procedures accurately
• High attention to detail
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Good data entry skills
• Mentoring & Influencing
• Team spirit, ability to work and communicate well within a team
• Working closely with a dynamic and diverse team
• Working on the most disruptive medical technology that is already making huge difference.
• Great prospect for career advancement and personal development
• Immersion into the entrepreneurial ecosystem provided by Breathonix together other fellow start ups
• Silicon Valley-style of working environment and community. Opportunities to bond with top entrepreneurs in deep-tech.
• We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Breathonix could be the place for you.
Please send your resume to Mr Du Fang, at Breathonix:
Post-doctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Translational Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore invites applications for a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow position for Citizen/PR at Centre for Translational Medicine (CeTM), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine. Appointments will be on a 1-year contract in the first instance, with the possibility of extension. Fresh PhD holders are welcome.
The Research Fellow (RF) will be responsible to and work closely with the Principal Investigator and a team of researchers on liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. The RF’s principal role will be to assist in method development for research projects requiring mass spectrometry analyses as well as provide technical support and training to laboratory users.
Develop methods for various research projects requiring mass spectrometry analysis, mainly focused on the subjects of metabolic and oxidative stress
Consulting on experimental design, analysing and interpreting metabolomics data, and developing new LC/MS-based assays as projects dictate
Provide technical guidance and troubleshooting for HPLC and mass spectrometers
Assist in maintenance support for mass spectrometry instruments
Mentor research assistants, graduate and undergraduate students
Experience conducting untargeted and targeted metabolomics analyses. Experience in sample extraction and prep techniques. Ability to work with sophisticated datasets.
Coordinate large grant proposals and work with leaders in the field across Singapore and internationally
The candidate will work successfully to measure complex biomarkers using mass spectroscopy and produce publishable outputs
Assist the professor in writing grants & manuscripts for higher impact journals
Assist with ethics submissions
Attend meetings with the primary investigator and team members
Liaise with multi-national collaborators for commercialization and validation of our discoveries
The applicant Must:
Be Singapore citizen or PR
Hold Ph.D. in Chemistry/Biochemistry/ Clinical Sciences
Have extensive knowledge and hands-on experience on mass spectrometry
Be able to work independently and in a team, and have an investigative nature and is attentive to details
at least 2 years of relevant research experience and prior publications will be preferred
Remuneration will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience
Please submit your application via email, indicating current/expected salary, supported by a detailed CV (including personal particulars, academic and employment history, complete list of publications/oral presentations and full contacts of 3 referees) by 30 June 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Dr Leroy Pakkiri firstname.lastname@example.org
Desai Malan Manish email@example.com
National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore is looking for a research assistant in a project which seeks to understand the mechanisms of decomposition and revegetation of peat in South East Asia. The position is within a multi-disciplinary research team consisting of postdoctoral research fellows, research assistants and associates, as well as principal investigators (PIs) from the Department of Biological Sciences, Geography and School of Computing. We offer a vibrant research environment with top-class facilities.
The positions will be full time and in the field of chemical and molecular analytics. The successful candidate will be expected to assist the team in workflow development, data collection, analysis and drafting project reports. The experimental works will be focusing on the analysis of organic and inorganic components in peatland ecosystems using advanced mass spectrometry methods.
We seek a highly motivated applicant with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, chemistry, life sciences or related fields. Prior laboratory experience working with the chemical and molecular aspects of environmental samples are advantageous. The ideal applicant should also possess strong organizational and communication skills, be able to work extremely well with others in a collaborative team environment and be culturally sensitive. The applicant for this position must also be willing to spend time at field sites situated in remote parts of SE Asia.
How to apply:
Informal enquiries are welcome. Submit your application including CV, names and contact information of 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Operations Lead (Research Assistant)
SLING, Singapore Lipidomics Incubator
The successful candidate will provide overall management support to the program director, lead scientists and other staff, to help ensure the successful delivery of all program objectives. We are looking for a highly organized person with the ability to work on a variety of tasks and projects simultaneously with minimal supervision. Effective communication with stakeholders from industry, funding agencies, academic researchers and administrative executives is of utmost importance. We offer a vibrant, multidisciplinary research environment with top-class research facilities. A friendly atmosphere and collaborations between different departments at NUS, NUH and with international institutions. You would closely work with a team of scientific members to meet the responsibilities detailed below.
• Responsible for all operational, logistical and administrative aspects of the NUS-Agilent Hub for Translation & Capture
• Coordinate efforts between NUS, Agilent and NUH to ensure on-time project completion
• Tracking of deliverables and milestones, ensuring that all reporting requirements are met
• Highlight and resolve issues and challenges related to the Hub together with the principal investigators and executive committee
• Prepare yearly progress reports for submission and follow up with any queries thereafter
• Perform procurement for the Hub; including high value equipment, in-kind/donation equipment contribution from Agilent and consumables
• Perform grant variations and quarterly fund requisitions according to researchers’ needs
• Prepare agenda and chair quarterly executive committee meetings and half-yearly steering committee meetings
• BSc or MSc degree in clinical or life sciences
• Ability to prioritize duties, pay keen attention to details and communicate effectively
• At least 3 years’ experience in project management experience
• Prior experience in managing multiparty programs and cross-functional teams is considered a strong advantage
How to apply
Informal enquiries are welcome. Submit your application including CV, names and contact information of 2-3 references to email@example.com
This position will be available with immediate effect.
Research assistant (Clinical Mass Spectrometry)
SLING, Singapore Lipidomics Incubator
The successful candidate would help drive the establishment of a new clinical mass spectrometry service at the National University Hospital and, in doing so, deliver a service that can provide accurate measurement of analytes that require this sensitive and specific methodology, including but not limited to endocrine hormones. We offer a vibrant, multidisciplinary research environment with top-class facilities. A friendly atmosphere and collaborations between different departments at NUS, NUH and with international institutions. You would closely work with a team of clinical and scientific members to meet the responsibilities detailed below.
• Provide guidance and supervision for the set-up and validation of a number of LC-MS/MS assays for routine clinical use
• Delivery of an accurate, reliable and timely LC-MS/MS diagnostic service that enables optimum patient care
• Oversee the documentation of standard operating procedure for the assay development and deployment in the clinical mass spectrometry laboratory
• Oversee the quality system to ensure the service continues to deliver quality results and meet the needs of clinicians and patients
• Review and summarize the literature for relevant clinical indications and interpretation regarding the new LC-MS/MS assays
• Maintain a culture and environment conducive to high quality medical research
• Through close collaboration with the Research & Development team, investigate possible novel biomarkers that may fulfil an unmet clinical need
• Collaborate with other institutions both nationally and internationally where opportunities of benefit to the Hub arise
• BSc or Master’s degree in clinical or life sciences
• At least 3 years of developing and running mass spectrometry-based assays
• Prior experience in clinical laboratory or developing tests that have received regulatory approval is considered a strong advantage
How to apply
The project is headed by Anne K Bendt (NUS) and Loh Tze Ping (NUH). Informal enquiries are welcome. Submit your application including CV, names and contact information of 1-2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will be available with immediate effect.